I thought I was raising children...

I thought I was raising children...

Thursday, June 16, 2011

Hmmmmmm.... I wonder if my husband is going to get a baby for Father's Day?

~
I had my second fetal diagnostic today. The gap in Baby Katie's brain is shrinking - hurrah! And then the nurse asked: "Do you happen to know what the level of your amniotic fluid was at your last ultrasound?"

Being a total controlling freak, I did. "Ten centimeters a week ago. Eight on Monday," I told her.

"You are measuring under five now," she informed me. "Let me go get the doctor."

See, under five is too low. Thankfully, I am at the point in my pregnancy where having a baby right now would not be detrimental to her - hopefully. Baby Girl would be small, and she would probably have to stay in NICU, but on the whole, both Momma and Baby would probably be okay.

The doctor came in and measured my amniotic fluid. She got a 6.1. Then they asked me if my water broke. "I don't know," I honestly said.

"Have you had any back pain?" the doctor asked.

"Of course I have, I'm 35 weeks pregnant."

"Contractions?" she persisted.

"My last non-stress test showed I was having Braxton-hicks."

Apparently, I answered the questions wrong, because I ended up strapped to a machine at the hospital in Labor and Delivery at 3 in the afternoon. The doctor just wanted to "keep an eye on me" to make sure "my membranes weren't leaking."

At that point, several thoughts began to swirl around my stressed out and panicked brain:

  1. My kids were with a sitter who was expecting me home at 2:30.
  2. My last day of school is tomorrow.
  3. I had to create, print, and mail 24 report cards by 5 pm today.
  4. The baby clothes are still in storage.
  5. The car seat is still in the box.
  6. The changing table is still in Boyo's room.
  7. I didn't have a hospital bag packed.
  8. My mom, who was coming to watch the kiddos when I give birth in 28 days, is in Denver.
  9. And I really had to pee.

So, being the anal retentive planner that I am, I flew into full organizational mode. I called my boss and explained the situation. Report cards and last day of school, check.

I called the sitter and my sister. Between the two of them, they watched my kids. Check.

My husband said if we had the baby tonight, he would go home and move furniture, pull down baby clothes (and wash them), and set up the car seat. Check.

I wrote out a detailed list of what I would need for the hospital bag (not the pink shirt, the fuschia one), for my husband. He rolled his eyes. I called my sister and read the list to her - she packed the bag. Check.

It's not 4:30 and the doctor came in with test results. Negative to the water breaking. She did an exam. It all looked good. So now what?

My amniotic fluid levels are still low. I am on bed rest for the time being. I have to go back in for another ultra sound on Friday. The doctor's exact words: "Hopefully we can cook you through the weekend, and you will have another ultra sound on Monday. Try to drink water. Not that drinking water has anything to do with your amniotic fluid level, but we like to tell you to do something so it sounds like we know what we are talking about. Go home and make a dent in your couch. Your husband is in charge. And don't worry."

She just put my husband in charge and she expects me not to worry?

I'm kidding(-ish). I know he can handle it. But my Type A, anal retentive personality won't let anyone other than me be in charge.

So all I can do is wait. And not worry.

I asked how long I would be on bed rest; how long they would wait until they took the baby. The doctor shrugged. "Depends on the test results tomorrow."

Great.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Girlie's Birthday

Lilypie Kids Birthday tickers

Boyo's Birthday

Boyo's Birthday

BabyGirlie's Birthday

BabyGirlie's Birthday

BabyBug's Birthday

BabyBug's Birthday