I thought I was raising children...

I thought I was raising children...

Saturday, April 24, 2010

Can of worms

~

I let some people know that I will not be able to return to work next year; and instead of trying to find a new job right away, I'm going to be home with my children during the day. Most people have been supportive. And then I got this:

"Wow. Really? Wow... I just... I just don't know what to say. Hmm... aren't you worried about what kind of message you will send to your daughter by leaving your career and to stay home and take care of kids? After all, you got your MA and other certifications."

My response?

"Wow. Really. Wow. I don't know what to say to that. Actually, I do. Let's cover this step by step, shall we?

First of all, I'm not staying home to take care of kids, I'm staying home to take care of my children. Mine. So I hope she will know that I love her and her brother.

Secondly, it's my MA. My certifications. I put in the time for them, the sweat, the blood, so to speak. I gave up my nights and weekends and money to earn them. So it is my choice what I do with them. And I hope my children, not just my daughter, know that I got educated so I could have choices with my life.

Thirdly, I'm assuming that your well meaning, if idiotic concern, is the message I am sending my daughter about being a SAHM instead of having a career? That I am sending a negative message by not working, keeping a perfect house, and raising my children?

See, I'm not quitting work all together. I'm going to work from home, and tutor on nights and weekends. So I hope the message that she learns from my choice is that it is my choice. Mine. A choice that I am finally fortunate enough to be able to make because of my education. A choice that I can finally make with a light heart because my education is giving my family a greater financial freedom. That while things may be difficult financially at first, at least she will have me home with her and her brother. That she and her brother and my family are the most important things to me.

Do you have any other 'concerns'?"

That was my response.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Girlie's Birthday

Lilypie Kids Birthday tickers

Boyo's Birthday

Boyo's Birthday

BabyGirlie's Birthday

BabyGirlie's Birthday

BabyBug's Birthday

BabyBug's Birthday