I thought I was raising children...

I thought I was raising children...

Tuesday, April 6, 2010

Potty Training


This is getting ridiculous.

My daughter is almost 3 - she turns 3 in June. And she is not pottytrained.

Don't get me wrong, she is well aware of the process. And she recognizes pee and poop, and recognizes when her body is making it. And - here's the kicker - she is partially potty trained at school!!!

We've tried potty training at home. We've tried bribes - stickers, pennies, and (I'm loathe to admit) M & M's. We've tried potty training dolls, an Elmo potty DVD, sitting on the potty until she goes, naked time, charts... You name it, we've tried it. I've read 5 books on the subject (The fact that I could find 5 books on the subject slightly bothers me). I took her to Walmart and we sat on all of the potties there, to find the perfect one. (We finally settled on a Princess Potty Seat, if you are curious). I bought her Disney Princess and Mickey Mouse panties. She has worn the panties over the pull ups, under the pull ups, or without pull ups.

Still nothing.

Then my sister in law gave me an idea - one that worked with her oldest son, who apparantly gave his mom potty training fits too. She simply told him that he was potty trained. And it worked.

So this morning, we got up and I told my daughter: "You are potty trained now. No more pull ups. You are a big girl."

"Okay Momma," she said. "I go peepee in the toilet."

At the end of the day, final count: My daughter - 5. Potty - 0.

I need to go do laundry.

2 comments:

  1. Aw, man! So much for a nice & relaxing Spring Break!

    ReplyDelete
  2. YIKES! One reason I keep putting off potty training the twins. So NOT looking forward to that. My son was not potty trained until 37 months. I just stopped using diapers and pull ups and made him go every 20 mins for a full weekend. The first day was about 10 accidents, the second day 2 and then none since! Good luck. Just remember - she won't go to Kindergarten in a diaper. =)

    ReplyDelete

Girlie's Birthday

Lilypie Kids Birthday tickers

Boyo's Birthday

Boyo's Birthday

BabyGirlie's Birthday

BabyGirlie's Birthday

BabyBug's Birthday

BabyBug's Birthday