I thought I was raising children...

I thought I was raising children...

Thursday, September 2, 2010

Politics and Elmo

~
I love politics. It fascinates me -- the issues, the commentary and debate, the horse race.

Voting is my soapbox issue. When I was teaching American Government, I considered it my duty to educate my students as to why voting was important and encourage them to vote when they were of age.

For those of you who don't know this - the midterm election is in 2 months. According to our Founding Fathers, that means that you need to do 3 things:

1. Register to vote. You can do that here if you want.
2. Get educated about the issues and people running.
3. VOTE ON ELECTION DAY.

I've completed step one. I'm in the process of step two. And I'm eagerly awaiting step three.

I was watching the debate between Barbara Boxer (D) and Carly Fiorina (R) last night. Now, I do identify with a party but I haven't been too thrilled with their candidates lately. Nor have a been too thrilled with the other party's candidates either.

So I was watching the debate, frustrated and irritated, making snide comments while I colored with my kids. They were "watching" the debate too because I want them to learn from an early age that being involved in public life is good, voting is important, and paying attention to your elected officials is vital.

At one point during the debate, I turned to my husband and asked in disbelief: "This is RIDICULOUS! Who am I going to vote for in November?"

My son immediately piped up with, "ELMO!!!"

My daughter countered with, "No, not Elmo!! He's red. We need Abby Cadabby for powly-tickies!!"

Would Sesame Street or CNN host that debate? And who do you think would be a better moderator - Big Bird or Oscar?

No comments:

Post a Comment

Girlie's Birthday

Lilypie Kids Birthday tickers

Boyo's Birthday

Boyo's Birthday

BabyGirlie's Birthday

BabyGirlie's Birthday

BabyBug's Birthday

BabyBug's Birthday