I thought I was raising children...

I thought I was raising children...

Thursday, September 23, 2010

Breastfeeding

~

My daughter saw a mom breastfeeding her infant in the park today.

I'm not against breastfeeding - I'm all for it. Heck, I tried it... twice! It didn't work out for my daughter and me, but it was a pleasant experience for my son and me.

So I didn't think anything of it when my daughter came running over to me and said, "Momma, what is that lady doing?"

I replied, "She's feeding her baby. Let's give her some privacy, okay?"

Now, this woman was breastfeeding under a cover, so my daughter couldn't quite see what was going on. "How is she feeding her?" she asked me. "With a sippy cup?"

Oh, God, how I wish I had lied and said yes.

"No," I explained. "The mommy makes milk and she gives it to her baby."

"Where does it come from?"

"Um, from her chest," I said. It was starting to dawn on me that this might not be the best thing to explain to a three year old.

"Her boobies?"

"Yup. Hey, look, do you want to ride on the swing?" I asked desperately, trying to change the subject.

"No," my daughter said firmly. "Did you feed me with your boobies?"

"Yes," I said. "Are you sure you don't want to go on the swings?"

"Brother too?" asked my one track mind daughter.

"Yes," I replied, physically dragging her over to the swings.

"Can you feed me with your boobies now?"

"No," I told her as I shoved her into a swing.

"Okay," she said, letting the subject drop, much to my relief.

Or so I thought.

Later that day, we went for a walk around our neighborhood and saw our mailman, Jay. My daughter and son love Jay... so I didn't think anything of it when my Girlie ran right over to him.

"Jay, Jay, guess what?!?" she said excitedly. "Mommy fed me with her boobies!"

No comments:

Post a Comment

Girlie's Birthday

Lilypie Kids Birthday tickers

Boyo's Birthday

Boyo's Birthday

BabyGirlie's Birthday

BabyGirlie's Birthday

BabyBug's Birthday

BabyBug's Birthday