I thought I was raising children...

I thought I was raising children...

Friday, September 24, 2010

It's Finally Done

~

My daughter is potty trained.

Finally.

Thank God.

After 3 months of tears (mine), stubbornness (hers), bribes (mine), negotiations (hers), and a lot of accidents (hers), it's done.

She got up on Monday and told me, "I'm going to put my peepee in the potty now because I'm a big girl and I'm going to school tomorrow."

I enthusiastically told her that was great, but I didn't believe her. She had been getting better lately about the whole potty training situation and her fear of the potty had dissolved. However, I was still bribing her; I had bought all of the Disney Princess dolls (2 for $20! And we have TEN of them... you do the math) since that was the only bribe that worked, but she still had a few accidents a week.

She has not had an accident in over a week. She tells me or her teachers or another adult when she has to go use the bathroom. She cleans up after herself. I'm still in a state of shock.

My sister asked me what I did to get her potty trained. I considered making myself out like SuperMom. I considered bragging about how all you have to do is listen to your child and find the right button to push. Basically, I considered lying.

Instead, I told the truth. "I don't have a clue," I replied. "She just did it."

My sister thought that over and then nodded. "You know your daughter is smarter than you right?" she asked.

"I know," I sighed.

"Her teenage years are going to suck," she told me.

"I know," I sighed.

At least she'll be potty trained for them. I was beginning to doubt that she would be.

2 comments:

  1. I was laughing my ass off as I read this! YOu are SUCH a talented writer Shannon! I can't wait for Ashlynn to look back at this! Love Juls

    ReplyDelete
  2. At least our daughter has established the hierarchy.

    ReplyDelete

Girlie's Birthday

Lilypie Kids Birthday tickers

Boyo's Birthday

Boyo's Birthday

BabyGirlie's Birthday

BabyGirlie's Birthday

BabyBug's Birthday

BabyBug's Birthday