I thought I was raising children...

I thought I was raising children...

Tuesday, March 29, 2011

War Ribbons

"Momma, why are the trees all tied up?"

My daughter asked me this question the other day, when we were driving in a neighborhood where the trees had purple ribbons tied around them, in remembrance of a soldier who had died in action in Iraq.

I didn't know what to say - I didn't want to lie to Girlie and tell her that the trees decided to get dressed up. Not because I abhor lying to my children - I have a tendency to make up stories to get my kids to do things (like give their binkies to Princess Aurora) - but because this seemed too important to lie about. But at the same time, I didn't want to have to explain death and war to a 3 year old. And, just to throw another concern into the mix, I was dreading the "Why?" questions I knew were coming.

"Well," I said, choosing my words carefully. "The ribbons are there to remind us to pray for and support our soldiers."

"Why?"

"Because they are fighting in another country to keep us safe and they are so brave."

"Why?"

"Because sometimes people who run countries don't know how to get along."

"Why?"

"Because no one taught them to share."

"Oh," Girlie said, thinking that one over. Then her face brightened as she came to a conclusion. "They should come to my school! My teachers would make 'em share!"

No comments:

Post a Comment

Girlie's Birthday

Lilypie Kids Birthday tickers

Boyo's Birthday

Boyo's Birthday

BabyGirlie's Birthday

BabyGirlie's Birthday

BabyBug's Birthday

BabyBug's Birthday