I thought I was raising children...

I thought I was raising children...

Thursday, March 24, 2011

Hmmmmmmmmm... perhaps I went too far in the other direction?

~
I caved.

I mentioned in a previous post how I didn't let my daughter watch The Little Mermaid because I wasn't a fan of the message it sent.

There I was, on family movie night, taken aback and unsure of what to do when Girlie said, "Momma, can I watch Ariel? I want to see her make the wrong choice."

I had a split second to decide -- and I said sure. I figured if I sat with her and talked her through it, it would be okay, right?

So we sat and we watched. At the scene when Ariel disobeyed her father, my husband interjected a mini lecture about why you should listen to your Dad. And at the scene when Ariel gave up her voice to Ursula for Prince Eric, we talked about how being smart is important and you need your voice so people know you are smart. And Girlie agreed and added her own valid points: "Yeah. Cuz Ariel has a pretty face, but Prince Eric won't know that he loves her if she can't talk."

Surprisingly, I was comfortable with watching the movie and having our little talks.

Just as I was congratulating myself for handling that minefield, Girlie turned to me and said, "Ursula is SO smart. She tricked Ariel!!"

Great. I'm raising a super villain.

1 comment:

Girlie's Birthday

Lilypie Kids Birthday tickers

Boyo's Birthday

Boyo's Birthday

BabyGirlie's Birthday

BabyGirlie's Birthday

BabyBug's Birthday

BabyBug's Birthday