I thought I was raising children...

I thought I was raising children...

Thursday, June 3, 2010

The End of an Era

~
Okay, maybe not an era. I don't know, does 5 years count as an era? Somehow, I don't think so.

Still, 5 years is a long time. 1,825 days. 43,800 hours. 2,628,000 minutes. Or, to put it another way, 1/6 of my life.

For 5 years, I have taught at an all girls high school. When I started there, I was fresh out of a teaching credential program, nervous and ready to take on the world. I was engaged to be married, living in a condo my parents owned, driving a broken down Saturn.

I taught my last class there today.

As I leave, I am a married, mother of two with an MA, paying astronomical mortgage payments on a house I sometimes lovingly and sometimes reluctantly call home. And I drive a minivan. I grew up while I taught there.

And I'm not sure how I feel about leaving.

It's just now starting to sink in that I am not a teacher there anymore. Sure, I have Awards Day tomorrow, and three days of finals next week. But I'm not going to school as Ms. Gerlach - Super Star Teacher. I'm going in as Ms. Gerlach - An Adult in the Room for Supervision Purposes.

I've been so busy today - making finals, sitting in on meetings, grading, cleaning/packing up my classroom, and -- oh, yeah -- teaching, that it's only now, as I sit at my desk with a glass of wine, that I can process this change.

I'm numb. And relieved. And sad. And terrified. And sick to my stomach. And excited. And I want to cry.

I'm sad to leave my students and my friends. I'm excited and terrified to be a full time mommy. I'm sick to my stomach and terrified about our financial situation and the fact that I don't have a solid plan for work yet. And I'm relieved that I no longer have to deal with the nonsense that has been my life for the past 5 years.

I talked to two of my sisters and a good friend today about what I was feeling - how I'm a tangle of emotions, how I'm not sure if I should be laughing or crying, how I'm not sure if I should grin or throw up. They all gave me great advice:

One sister: "In 3 weeks, you are going to be so happy. The change is scary. But in 3 weeks, whether you have a new position or not, you are going to be in a great place."

Good friend: "Being afraid of being home with your kids is normal. It's an adjustment. But we're here for you."

But perhaps the most realistic advice came from my other sister:

"You're sad because you are thinking about all the good stuff. Stop it. Think about all the crap they put you through. The good stuff was rare. The crap was daily."

Still, for tonight, I think I'm going to finish my glass of wine, tear up a bit, and remember the good stuff.

2 comments:

  1. What helped me as I walked away from a career of 7 years (making a ridiculous amount of money as well) to stay home with my kids is lying to myself that this was only temporary. Only one year I told myself. Although at the time I did believe that. Well it's been 8months and one more baby past that one year and I couldn't be happier with my life and lie!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I wish I'd thought to say what Kate did. I was trying to be nice when I said you'll feel better in 3 weeks. What I really meant was exactly what Kate said. Had my first day back at work today. Wish I was you!!!!

    ReplyDelete

Girlie's Birthday

Lilypie Kids Birthday tickers

Boyo's Birthday

Boyo's Birthday

BabyGirlie's Birthday

BabyGirlie's Birthday

BabyBug's Birthday

BabyBug's Birthday