I thought I was raising children...

I thought I was raising children...

Saturday, May 29, 2010

SAHM, Part I

~
Once again, this is another post with me whining about whether or not I'm doing the right thing.
~
I love my children. Please, don't ever doubt that I love my children.

I'm going to be home with my kids next year. I'm thrilled about it. I'm so excited; I have a ton of fun things that I want to do with them, all sorts of plans to try out. (Unfortunately, most of these plans involve money, but that is a different topic.)

I'm also terrified. Now that it's "for real," as my students would say, I'm worried that I'm making a big mistake by not working. I know that these years with my kids will never come back. I want to be with them. I know that work will be there when I am ready to go back to teaching.

But...

...I actually had one of those rare and perfect days with my students. A day where I nailed it: my students were laughing, were engaged, were having fun, and --most importantly, were learning. The kind of day where I had a big, goofy smile on my face because I felt like the best teacher in the world. The kind of day where, cheesy as it sounds, I felt like I was making a difference in their lives. I felt fulfilled.

And I wanted to cry because I wouldn't have days like that next year. And I'm going to miss these days. Sure, I am sure that I will have different days, where I will make a difference in my children's lives, where they will be laughing and having fun and engaged and learning. But the thought crossed my mind:

What if motherhood isn't enough?

Does that make me a horrible mother?

1 comment:

  1. You're a great mom! I think you're a great mom! Now if we can only get other people to say it...hahahaha. inside joke.

    ReplyDelete

Girlie's Birthday

Lilypie Kids Birthday tickers

Boyo's Birthday

Boyo's Birthday

BabyGirlie's Birthday

BabyGirlie's Birthday

BabyBug's Birthday

BabyBug's Birthday