I thought I was raising children...

I thought I was raising children...

Sunday, May 23, 2010

Dear Ridley Scott:

SPOILER ALERT: IF YOU WANT TO SEE ROBIN HOOD, DO NOT READ THIS POST.

~
What the h#$% was that?!?

I'm a huge Robin Hood fan. The movie that I paid an obscene amount of money to see was not Robin Hood. That, sir, was ridiculous.

I have several questions/points I would like to bring up. First of all, the smaller problems I had with the movie:

1. Why did Robin Hood have an Irish/Scots brogue? Dude, he's English.

2. Maid Marion. Maid. She's supposed to be young - ish. Not staring at the other side of 40. And not a widow.

3. Did you mix up your movies? Why were the Lost Boys from Peter Pan in your movie? And the French invading England on the beach in World War II landing crafts? Were those left over from Saving Private Ryan?

4. Please explain to me how Robin of Locksley, an archer, had wicked awesome sword fighting skills? Oh, right. He was in Gladiator.

5. Maid Marion. As a knight in shining armor. Enough said.

6. What happened to the Sheriff of Nottingham? He's supposed to be the bad guy in this piece. Instead, if you blinked, you missed him.


7. Mr. Scott, your movie is set at the turn of the 12th century. Why is it that all of your characters could read?


8. Robin Hood is an outlaw. But he is only declared one in the last 5 minutes of your movie.

And now, the HUGE problem I had with the movie, which concerned the history of the legend.

The Magna Carta was not Robin Hood's idea. Or his dad's. I will give the the Robin Hood legend some credit for having a hand in the Forest Charter, but not the Magna Carta.

Mr. Scott, I'm a history teacher. Please don't make my job more difficult. It's bad enough that my students show up in September thinking that the Constitution is a long walk and the Great Depression was when the President was really sad. I work hard to fix these misconceptions. Sometimes I want to bang my head against the wall. Sometimes it would be easier to tell the kids they are right. Sometimes it would be easier to out right lie to them and make up fun stories. But I don't. Instead, I struggle every day so that my students have an honest and unbiased view of history.

And I have to say that you aren't helping. Now I'm going to have to read test answers where Robin Hood is responsible for modern day democracy, women could be knights of the realm, and Philip of France had a time machine which allowed him to get World War II landing craft to invade Britain in 1199.

However, I do give you credit for amazing attention to detail in your sets.

I am really hoping that the director's cut of this movie will deal with some of these inconsistencies so that I can sleep at night.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Girlie's Birthday

Lilypie Kids Birthday tickers

Boyo's Birthday

Boyo's Birthday

BabyGirlie's Birthday

BabyGirlie's Birthday

BabyBug's Birthday

BabyBug's Birthday