I thought I was raising children...

I thought I was raising children...

Monday, October 1, 2012

A Letter to My Daughter on her 15th Birthday


 To My Darling Baby Girlie:

Happy Fifteenth Birthday, my love!  While I don't know what you are doing today, I do know what you were doing 13 years ago -- celebrating your first birthday!  You have grown so fast, my angel.  I get a little weepy when I think about how fast this year has gone by.

You are such a joyous, strong baby.  You are my girl, through and through.  And when I think of one year old you, I can only quote Shakespeare: "Though she be but little, she is fierce."  And you are fierce, and strong, and vocal.  You don't put up with your brother and sister's shenanigans, but want to join right in.  You don't seen to understand that you are younger than them and don't have the capabilities they do yet -- nothing will slow you down.  You constantly keep me on my toes - every day is a different adventure to keep you safe.  You are active and brave and adventurous like your brother, and talkative and sweet and cuddly like your sister.  Together, this makes you uniquely your own -- a funny little one year old who is determined not to be left behind but still wants her Momma to be with her always.

You make me smile and laugh -- you are so stinkin' cute and I don't know what I would do without you.  Not a day goes by that I don't marvel at you.  I hope you realize that you are a miracle -- you expand my heart in ways that I didn't know were possible.  You (and your brother and sisters) are the closest I will ever come to creating magic.

I know life is hard right now -- to say that the teenage years suck is an understatement.  I can only hope that you are still as brave and adventurous and talkative and sweet at 15 as you are at 1.  And I know that this is a time of change and peer pressure and you may think at times that I hate you -- I could never hate you.  I will always love you so much.  I may not always understand you, but I will always love you.  And while I may not always approve of the choices you make, I will always be proud of you.

I hope you know that you don't need expensive clothes or a new whatever or a different body or whatever you think you need.  You can want those things and work for them.  But what you need to grow and blossom is simple: be kind to yourself.  Be your biggest fan.  Smile.  Laugh.  Think.  Say no.  Say yes.  Imagine.  Create.   Don't be afraid of what other people think about you -- set your own terms.  Be silly.  Be smart.  Be human.  Don't try to be perfect -- but always try to be happy.  Be your own hero.  And don't let anyone take your smile away.

Life is hard - I'm not going to lie.  But it's worth it.  Live your life well. 

I love you, my sweetheart.    I hope you know you can talk to me about anything.

Love,

Mom




No comments:

Post a Comment

Girlie's Birthday

Lilypie Kids Birthday tickers

Boyo's Birthday

Boyo's Birthday

BabyGirlie's Birthday

BabyGirlie's Birthday

BabyBug's Birthday

BabyBug's Birthday