I thought I was raising children...

I thought I was raising children...

Monday, October 22, 2012

Debate Night!

~
I am raising my children to be civic-ly minded and socially conscious.

Thus, in the interest of democracy, I told them they could watch the debate with me tonight or they could watch Chicken Little.

After making them sit through the last two debates -- okay, 10 minutes of each -- they immediately voted for Chicken Little.  (Sigh).

Fine, I acquiesced.  But I told them that they had to watch in the playroom -- I wanted to watch the debate on the big TV and the political pundits afterwards.

Girlie immediately asked, "What's a political pundit?"

I thought about giving her my definition, but then reconsidered when I realized that 5 is a bit young for a string of curse words that ends with "idiotic morons."  (Yes, I know I am watching the pundits.  But I'm also shouting back at them.  And I want it noted that this behavior doesn't make me crazy.  It makes me a Government teacher.)

So I told her that a political pundit is someone who takes the facts and spins the facts to suit that person's own political ideology.

Then I braced myself to define ideology.

But Girlie surprised me.  She didn't ask for a definition of ideology.

Instead, she asked if the political pundits twirled faster than she did.

When I looked confused, my husband pointed out that I did say a political pundit "spun the truth."




No comments:

Post a Comment

Girlie's Birthday

Lilypie Kids Birthday tickers

Boyo's Birthday

Boyo's Birthday

BabyGirlie's Birthday

BabyGirlie's Birthday

BabyBug's Birthday

BabyBug's Birthday