I thought I was raising children...

I thought I was raising children...

Monday, September 17, 2012

Happy Constitution Day!

I'm a big believer in doing your civic duty -- I mean, I teach American Government.  

I watch CSPAN for fun.  

I bake a birthday cake for the United States every year on the Fourth of July. 

 I get a twitch in my left eye when people tell me they don't vote.  

I see red when people tell me they vote but that they don't really understand the issues or do the research about the propositions.

I volunteer on campaigns.

I get so excited on Election Day that I actually vibrate with excitement.

And I have kids.  

So naturally, I have to teach them to do their civic duty.  Who cares if they are all under 6?

I just try to explain it to them in terms that they understand.

Today is Constitution Day.  I told them that it was the Constitution's birthday.

Girlie immediately asked what a "Constellation" was.

Boyo corrected her -- not a "Constellation" a "Constilotion."

I took a deep breath and counted to five.  

And then I taught them not only how to say Constitution but also that it was rules for the people who live in America.

Girlie informed me that America has a flag.  

Boyo told me he wanted a flag.

I explained to them that America was the country we lived in.

Boyo got hopeful and asked if we were going to have a birthday party again.

I said, sure, why not.  

So we had an under-six-oriented birthday party to celebrate Constitution Day.

We watched Schoolhouse Rock, Election Edition....

  
... We made pizza for dinner...


... And we ate birthday cake.... 

... but we did not sing Happy Birthday.  I fell down on the job.


No comments:

Post a Comment

Girlie's Birthday

Lilypie Kids Birthday tickers

Boyo's Birthday

Boyo's Birthday

BabyGirlie's Birthday

BabyGirlie's Birthday

BabyBug's Birthday

BabyBug's Birthday