I thought I was raising children...

I thought I was raising children...

Thursday, December 23, 2010

Rainbows and Circles

~
I think a marriage works best if one person is able to go with the flow. You know what I mean - a person who doesn't get phased by changes in plans and can adapt easily, with a shrug of the shoulders when things don't go his way.

I wish I could say I was that person in my marriage.

I'm not.

I'm more of a takes-an-hour-to-get-over-the-slightest-disappointment type of person. My husband is the go with the flow person in our relationship. And sometimes, I really hate that. Yes, I appreciate it after the fact, but during whatever has me disappointed hearing him say, "Oh well. It'll be okay" really sets my teeth on edge.

This was never more apparent yesterday when my husband and I loaded the kids up in the car and went to the ReStore, Habitat for Humanity store in Garden Grove. I was so excited; I was like a giddy little school girl. Why was I so excited about going to a restore for your home needs?

See, we were going to look at kitchen counter tops. For those of you who don't know, our kitchen counter tops are H-I-D-E-O-U-S! White laminate. That stains. And is chipping. And I think are the original countertops from 1971. I HATE them. Actually, hate is not a strong enough word, but it will have to do.

Anyway, the kitchen counters have been on our to-do list for 5 years. And my husband is finally ready to take on this monumental task.

And the moment we walked into the store, my kids lost it. It had been raining forever (or six days), and they wanted to run. But we couldn't let them run in a home improvement store. So my husband scooped them up and loaded them back into the car. "We'll come back soon," he told me.

So there I was, sitting in the car, sulking. My visions of new countertops and me cooking on them were crumbling to dust when my daughter asked me if I was happy.

"No," I snapped. "I'm disappointed."

"Oh," she said, smiling. "We should find you a rainbow. That will make you happy. Or you should run around in circles. That always makes me happy."

I started laughing as I realized that my daughter is going to be a go with the flow type of person too.

Wonderful. I'm surrounded.

1 comment:

  1. Jamie doesn't go with the flow either. Next one will be the tie breaker.

    ReplyDelete

Girlie's Birthday

Lilypie Kids Birthday tickers

Boyo's Birthday

Boyo's Birthday

BabyGirlie's Birthday

BabyGirlie's Birthday

BabyBug's Birthday

BabyBug's Birthday