I thought I was raising children...

I thought I was raising children...

Friday, January 10, 2014

That's What Big Sisters Are For...


BabyGirlie had to go to the dentist for the first time last month.

We were both terrified.  

Her, because it was new.

Me, because I knew she was going to bite the dentist. 

But it had to be done... so I scheduled her with her big sister.  

I thought if she saw Girlie go through it, she wouldn't be afraid. 

She climbed up on the chair with Girlie, very worried.  She had a death grip on the Toothy Alligator the receptionist had given her to hold.

Before I could open my mouth to soothe - I knew she was worried -- Girlie beat me too it.

"I was scared the first time too," she said matter of factly as she hugged her sister.  "Let me show you what Dr. Mike is going to do." 

Girlie showed BabyGirlie how Dr. Mike would brush her teeth.  

She showed her the sink where she would spit.

She showed BabyGirlie the light and the TV screen in the ceiling.

She explained how Dr. Mike was going to count her teeth, polish them, and that BabyGirlie would get a sticker AND a toothbrush AND a toy.

Then she showed BabyGirlie how to brush the Alligator and made BabyGirlie brush the teeth too. 

BabyGirlie was still scared (she screamed thoughout the cleaning) but Girlie made waiting for Dr. Mike an adventure.  

It was one of those I-just-got-a-glimpse-of-the-grown-up-you-will-be moments...and I am so proud of her now and so hopeful for who she will become. 
 



No comments:

Post a Comment

Girlie's Birthday

Lilypie Kids Birthday tickers

Boyo's Birthday

Boyo's Birthday

BabyGirlie's Birthday

BabyGirlie's Birthday

BabyBug's Birthday

BabyBug's Birthday