I thought I was raising children...

I thought I was raising children...

Wednesday, March 7, 2012

How Do You Raise A Boy?

I found the quote below on Facebook the other day and it spoke to me not because of how to raise my daughter, but how to raise my son:

"Today I will build my daughter up. Today I will focus on her intelligence, creativity, sense of adventure, wild heart, and imagination. Today I will let my daughter get dirty, or make a mistake. Today I will reject the notion that she is just a pretty face, a delicate creature who needs pampering and consumerism to feel fulfilled. Today, I will simply let my daughter be a kid.
Today I will find ...joy in my son. Today I will cherish his dreaming mind, love of exploring, tender heart, and sparkle in his eye. Today I will let my son climb higher than my mother's heart is comfortable with, and give him the room to learn on his own. Today I will reject the notion that he is a tough guy who doesn't need art and love and compassion in order to be a mini man. Today, I will simply let my son be a kid." ~Pigtail Pals - Redefine Girly

I've mentioned in this blog and to anyone who will listen -- how I want to raise Girlie to be a kickass woman: one who can shatter the glass ceiling if she wants to, who will wear cleats and heels, one who is independent and possesses a mental and physical strength to get her through life. I don't want her to give up her power to a man (or woman) -- I want her to defy stereotypes.

And I've been so focused on her that I've neglected my son.

How do I raise him to be a kickass man: one who possess a mental and physical strength to get him through life, who can be ambitious and sensitive, who will treat women as equal but still hold the door open for them, who won't let a girl win just because she's a girl, but will still stand up for women's independence? How do I teach him to figure out who he is and not give his power away to a woman (or man)? How do I teach him to be strong and sensitive without being a wuss, to be independent and not a mama's boy but still call his mother on occasion? How do I teach him to defy stereotypes?

I don't have a clue.

There are so many books and articles out there about raising strong, independent girls and very few on how to raise strong, independent men. A quick google search on "How to Raise A Strong Man" gave me one good article -- this one -- and then an article titled "Want to Raise A Good Son? Get him a Good Man."

The point of the article is that a boy needs a strong father figure. I get that. And Boyo has one.

But it doesn't answer my fundamental question: what is MY ROLE in raising my son to be a good man? What do I talk to him about? How do I teach him to communicate and be empathetic and not objectify women? It can't all be on my husband, can it?

I know what to do with my daughter -- or at least, I have a plan. I'm clueless when it comes to my son; I don't even know where to start. And I'm worried that I've wasted three years where I could have been helping him.

“We've begun to raise daughters more like sons... but few have the courage to raise our sons more like our daughters.” ― Gloria Steinem

1 comment:

  1. I don't think you will have any trouble raising your children to be strong, independent and intelligent. If they follow in your footsteps, and learn from you, then there is no doubt in my mind that they will become compassionate, understanding, mature and intelligent people.

    ReplyDelete

Girlie's Birthday

Lilypie Kids Birthday tickers

Boyo's Birthday

Boyo's Birthday

BabyGirlie's Birthday

BabyGirlie's Birthday

BabyBug's Birthday

BabyBug's Birthday