I thought I was raising children...

I thought I was raising children...

Monday, November 21, 2011

Soccer Girlie, Take II

Well, soccer season is over.


Officially, that is.


Girlie stopped playing in games six weeks ago - that was when she told me she didn't want to play anymore.


I told her it was nonnegtiable - we don't quit. And that if she didn't want to play, she could sit on the sidelines and cheer for her team.


I thought my threat would encourage her to play. It didn't. For the last six games, she has sat on the sidelines, cheering, eating her snacks, but refusing to play.


The last game was Saturday; the End of the Year Team Dinner last week. I knew there were going to be trophies; what I didn't know was that the coach was going to say something about each kid's excellent playing ability.


I was a little queasy as he got closer to calling Girlie's name. After all, what on earth could he say? But if he didn't say anything, I knew she would be hurt and wouldn't understand.


"Our next player showed up every week," he began with a huge grin, "And told me all about princesses and fairies and her friend, My Little Pony. She always smiled and cheered for her teammates and gave everyone high fives. She really knows what true team spirit is; she was an important part of our team - the team cheerleader!"


I let out a sigh as Girlie bounced up to get her trophy and her candy. She was so proud of herself and delighted to have a trophy! [She also showed her coach her stuffed kitty cat, Buttercup, that she had insisted on bringing.]


His speech made me realize that I was so busy griping about the fact that she wouldn't play that I missed what she was doing - she was taking participating, just in her own way.

And hey, maybe in the future, soccer teams will have cheerleaders.



Way to go, Girlie. Way to go.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Girlie's Birthday

Lilypie Kids Birthday tickers

Boyo's Birthday

Boyo's Birthday

BabyGirlie's Birthday

BabyGirlie's Birthday

BabyBug's Birthday

BabyBug's Birthday