I thought I was raising children...

I thought I was raising children...

Sunday, April 12, 2015

A Letter to My Son on his 20th Birthday

My Darling Boyo -

Today, as a write this, you are 6.  A six year old, stubborn, silly, kindergartener.  But you are not 6 as you read this - you are a man.  A 20 year old man - and I wonder who he is.  I can't see who you will become with clarity - I see a fluidity in the man you will be in the 6 year old you are.  Will the adult you still be as stubborn as the 6 year old you - working and working on something that interests you until you get it just so?  Will the man you are be like the 6 year old you - following the rules until you figure out the game/building/activity - and then breaking the rules to make the game/building/activity better?

You are such a wonder, my boy.  I won't lie - having a son terrified me.  After all, I came from a family of girls.  What does a person do with a boy?  But now, 6 years under my belt as your mother, I am starting to figure it out.  I wonder at you - you are such a marvel.  I take joy in your quick mind, your silly and moody personality, your strong, determined personality.  You amaze me on a daily basis - I am in awe of who you are and what you are capable of.  I hope the adult you is still surpising me. 

I hope you are creative and strong - that you are smart but still see the wonder in the world.  I hope that if you are going to throw a punch, you can take one (both literally and figuratively).  I hope that you do something that makes you happy - and know that you are going to make a lot of mistakes.  I really hope you know that is okay.  I really, really hope that you learn from them.  I hope you can cry - out of pain or joy - to clean your soul.  I hope that you find your faith so that you have comfort.  I hope that you are honest and kind.  Always be kinder than you feel.

Treat women the way you would want your sisters' boyfriends to treat them.  You are growing up in an age of technology and who knows what new app or technology will be around when you are 20.  Remember - no one wants to see your penis in a picture.  Don't take pictures of your body and send them to anyone - once they are out there they are out there for life.  Don't give away anything you can't take back.

Be a good brother - listen to your sisters.  Defend their honor (or get out of their way so they can defend themselves).  They will be with you long after your father and I are gone.  They will remember who the six year old was when I am not around to remind you. 

May you always try to make the right choices, not the easiest ones.  Have the courage to lead, not follow.  And ALWAYS dream bigger than most others think is possible.

I hope you know that you can talk to me about anything.  And I am so proud of the boy you were and the man you are.

I love you,
Mom

No comments:

Post a Comment

Girlie's Birthday

Lilypie Kids Birthday tickers

Boyo's Birthday

Boyo's Birthday

BabyGirlie's Birthday

BabyGirlie's Birthday

BabyBug's Birthday

BabyBug's Birthday