I thought I was raising children...

I thought I was raising children...

Sunday, April 12, 2015

A Letter to my daughter on her 16th Birthday

My darling girl -

Today you are 16.  I wonder what the teenage you will be like - will you be a sweet, mischevious little monkey like the 2 year old is?  Will we get along?  I am sure we will fight, but I hope that won't be the crux of our relationship. 

Your personality as a two year old is in full bloom.  You are sweet and stubborn, funny and curious.  You want so desperately to be like your older sisters and brothers and yet at the same time you tell me "I da baby" with defiant pride. 

I hope the sixteen year old knows that I love you so very much and, even though we probably fight, that I will do anything to protect you, even if it's from yourself.  Being a person is hard sometimes, and I hope you know that you are not alone that your father and I, your brother and your sisters, we are always on your side - even when it seems like we aren't.  I hope you like yourself - being a teenage sucks under the best of circumstances but I hope you know yourself well enough to ask if the actions you choose and the choices you make are for your benefit, and not for the benefit of others. 

Be kind, my love.  If you can't find something nice to say, you aren't thinking hard enough.  Laugh every day - even if it's at yourself.  Be brave enough to stand up and shout at the injustice, even when it is easier to stay silent.  You have a voice - speak the truth, even if your voice wobbles or the truth will hurt.  I hope that you know it is okay to ask questions, to cry, to wonder, and that you are enough.  Be smart.  There is a difference between being able to rattle of the facts taught in school to making smart decisions.  Make smart decisions that are good for your long term not just instant gratification.

You are one of my 4 miracles, my angel.  I hope you know that - that I think you are a miracle.  That you are a miracle.  That you are amazing and smart and funny and joyful. You are perfect just the way you are - and I wouldn't change you for a single thing.  I hope your life is as amazing as you have made mine.

You can talk to me about anything.  I love you so much!

Mom

No comments:

Post a Comment

Girlie's Birthday

Lilypie Kids Birthday tickers

Boyo's Birthday

Boyo's Birthday

BabyGirlie's Birthday

BabyGirlie's Birthday

BabyBug's Birthday

BabyBug's Birthday