I thought I was raising children...

I thought I was raising children...

Friday, October 25, 2013

BabyBug's Birth Story


~I'm a little sad to realize this is the last one I'm going to write ~


Really, BabyBug's birth story starts on October 23rd.  We had gone to the mall to interview a perspective sitter and decided to have dinner at Farrell's.  While we were there, my water broke.  It wasn't a break so much as it was a slow leak... which is why I didn't realize my water had broken.  I thought I had peed.  You would have thought I would have known better since it was my fourth pregnancy... 

So we went home.  I changed, bathed the other three, and we all went to bed.  I remember mentioning in passing to my husband that I thought maybe my water broke, but I was pretty sure it was just pee.  

He wanted to go to the hospital right then and check.  But we lived 30 minutes away from the hospital and I was sure, with our luck, we would be sent back home.  Plus, I had a doctor's appointment the next day.  Added to that, we had three other kids and I didn't want to call in my sisters to watch them for a false alarm.   I asked him if we could just wait and he reluctantly agreed.

The next morning, I realized I hadn't felt BabyBug move in a good few hours.  As an insulin dependent gestational diabetic with a history of difficult pregnancies, this was a bit worrisome.  I mentioned it to my doctor and she immediately sent me over to L & D to be monitored.  Tom and BabyGirlie were with me, so away we went.  

Naturally, as soon as they hooked me up to the monitor, BabyBug decided to have a dance off.  So the nurse -- super cool Nurse Jenny, who helped deliver Baby Girlie and told me I could come back anytime to have a baby, as mentioned here -- was about to unhook me and send me home when Tom said, "Wait.  Can you check her first?  I think her water broke last night."

So they checked me and - Yup! - my water had broken.  My husband still gloats about that.

Since I wasn't having any contractions, they decided to start them with some pitocin.  Tom left to take BabyGirlie home and get the other kiddos set up with my sisters, and I took a nap. 

The labor progressed normally from there on out -- until I was ready to start pushing.  At that point, the baby got stuck.  Why did she get stuck?  Because she tried to come out hands first, face up, shouting "WHEEEEEEEE!" like she was going down a slide.  

The L&D nurses immediately spang into action.  They shoved Tom out of the way, and two of them pushed on my stomach while the doctor yanked and I pushed.  I have an image of the doctor bracing both her feet on the L&D table and pushing backward, back arched and grunting, but that probably didn't happen.

BabyBug eventually popped out -- all NINE LBS TWO OZS of her.  Yeah, the ultrasound that told me she would be 7.12?  Bullsh#$.  

The doctor took one look at her and went, "That is a BIG baby."  Thanks.  Made me feel awesome.  

They measured her and tested her and warmed her -- while I sat crying because I wanted her on my chest and they wouldn't give her to me.  Tom eventually got fed up with that nonsense, plucked her out of the nurse's hands, and brought her to me.  


And that is how our family was completed.  



~~2 side notes~~

First: My sister was trying to Facetime with me while I was pushing so I could say good night to the kids.  That would have traumatized everyone.

Secondly - Since BabyBug's birth was my last, I got the mirror to see what was happening.  Oh. Dear. God.  If you ever have that option -- don't

No comments:

Post a Comment

Girlie's Birthday

Lilypie Kids Birthday tickers

Boyo's Birthday

Boyo's Birthday

BabyGirlie's Birthday

BabyGirlie's Birthday

BabyBug's Birthday

BabyBug's Birthday