I thought I was raising children...

I thought I was raising children...

Friday, August 3, 2012

30 Day Mom Challenge (or, Why Pintrest Irritates Me)


I found this on pinterest and decided I could never be a good mom until I did everything on this list.  

Day 1: I asked my daughter, what is one thing we can do together this month?  
She said color.  
I said, "Don't you want to do something more exciting?"  
She said "No, color."
I decided not to over think it or put ideas into her head.  Maybe this experiment is doomed to failure.

Day 2: I made it 20 minutes before I started yelling not to take juice onto the carpet.  Chalked that one up as a failure and decided to hug my kids 3 times today instead.  Hugged them each at least 10 times.  Wore a jelly hand print around on my back as a reward ... my husband told me about it at dinner.  

Day 5: I always kiss my children when they are sleeping.  And I made it an hour before I started yelling.  I don't think I am understanding the point of this experiement.

Day 7: Told myself, "He's only 3 years old.  He's still just a child." when my son decided to hit the baby with his Brave sword (really, thanks sooooooooooooooo much for that Auntie Erin.)  I decided to treat him like a three year old and made him take a nap.  He screamed for an hour.  My neighbor came over to ask me to close my windows.  I don't like her.  

Day 9: We made chocolate chip cookies - Boyo's favorite food.  Girlie threw a temper tantrum that we didn't make snickerdoodles.  I ate about a dozen cookies. 

Day 11: Today's focus is joy.  I am joyful that my husband took the older two to the pool while the baby slept.  Truly, this experiment doesn't seem to be working.  I prayed for wisdom mothering my children the other day and I'm pretty sure I heard God laughing.  

Day 13: 884 more weekends until the baby goes to college.  That seems like a lot.

Day 15: I wrote a note for them and put it into their lunchboxes before I sent them to VBS.  When I picked her up, Girlie reminded me that she can't read.  I don't think she gets the point of this experiment either. 

Day 17: I told Boyo and Girlie that I was so thankful that God gave them to me.  Girlie said, "I know," and Boyo pretended to shoot me with some Legos.  I am pretty sure I need a nap.

Day 19: "Imagine what it felt like when you were their age."  I remember being with my grandmother a lot -- I should drop the kids off at my mom's. 

Day 20: "Picture what you want your child to be at 25 and mother that way, today."  I want her to be employed and living on her own.  Does that mean I should ignore her?  That seems counterproductive to the point of this exercise.

Day 21: Laugh with your child today.  Done -- we started laughing within the first 5 minutes of starting our day.  And I made it 2 hours before I started yelling.  Baby steps, people, baby steps.

Day 23: "Teach Your Child One Thing They Can Do By Themselves."  Does teaching them how to operate the DVD player, so they don't wake me up during my nap, count?

Day 25: "Teach your child a new word."  I taught Boyo s!%#.  It was an accident.  

Day 27: "Ask your child his/her opinion about something today."  Girlie wants to name the new baby Frogera Frogo Gerlach.  No.  Just No.

Day 28: "Turn off your computer, cell phone, and TV for just one day when your child is with you."  I made it four hours.  On the other hand, I only made it 20 minutes before I started yelling.  Does anyone else see a correlation?  

Day 30: "Do not interrupt your child when she is talking."  Girlie talked for 4 hours straight!  My head is pounding.  But I didn't interrupt.  And I made it all 4 hours without yelling. 


No comments:

Post a Comment

Girlie's Birthday

Lilypie Kids Birthday tickers

Boyo's Birthday

Boyo's Birthday

BabyGirlie's Birthday

BabyGirlie's Birthday

BabyBug's Birthday

BabyBug's Birthday